HOME PAGE | JESSE AND FRANCES BARTLETT'S PAGE | SEARCH | WHAT'S NEW | GUEST BOOK | E-MAIL
[This page is part of the Jesse Bartlett-Frances Callaway Web Site]
And Some of Her Descendants
[Click on a supernumeral to go to the
[Click on a source number to return to the text]
1. Nancy BARTLETT, second daughter and second child of Jesse BARTLETT and Frances CALLAWAY, was born on 2 Sep 1812 in Knox County, Tennessee.1,2
She spent her teen-age years in Illinois, being about twelve years old when the family moved there from Tennessee and age nineteen when they arrived in Texas in late 1831.3
She married James W. CRAWFORD on 6 Sep 1838 in Washington County, Texas4,5 in a double ceremony with her sister, Louisa. She died on 28 Aug 1867 at age 54 and was buried in Galveston, Galveston County, Texas. Her death probably was from yellow fever, as it was epidemic in Galveston from July to October 1867.
Children of Nancy BARTLETT and James W. CRAWFORD, about whom no information has been found, were:
1. Holy Bible (Philadelphia, Pa.: M. Carey
& Son, 1817) p. 678 (giving only the date). This bible was originally owned by Jesse
Bartlett and Frances Callaway Bartlett and was in the possession of Ruby Lynn Shelton,
Rice, Tex., in 1974. On the flyleaf, believed to be in Jesse's hand, is "Jesse
Bartlett his Book."
2. Supposition as to place, based on family's residence.
3. Joseph C. Bartlett, letter to Gen. Robertson, 9 May 1873, "J. C. Bartlett 1873-76" folder, box 2H118, Texas Veterans' Association Papers, A-Fn, Center for American History, University of Texas, Austin, Tex., (stating that he arrived in Texas in December 1831; presumably sister Nancy and the rest of the family came with him).
4. Dorothy Ledbetter Murray and Nicholas Russell Murray, comps., Marriage Records: Arkansas, Mississippi, Missouri, Texas, compact disc CD5 (n.p.: Automated Archives, Inc., 1994).
5. Marriage Record, Washington County, Tex., bk. 1, p. 3 (giving his name as Joseph W. Crawford).
6. Anvaline Provence, letter to Theretta Pickel, undated (copy obtained 26 May 1974 by Roger Bartlett from Ann McFadin Miller, Corpus Christi, Texas) (quoting 4 Dec 1907 letter from Emmeline Bartlett Tate to Anvaline Meredith Provence naming James W. Crawford and Nancy Bartlett as his parents).
6a. John W. Spencer, The Confederate Guns of Navarro County (Corsicana, Tex.: The Texas Press, 1986), p. 121.
7. Anvaline Provence, letter to Theretta Pickel, above (naming James W. Crawford and Nancy Bartlett as her parents).
Click here to go to the top of this page
Click here to go to the beginning of the sources
Click here to go to Jesse and Frances Bartlett's page
Click here to go to the home page
Click here to sign or view the guest book
This page maintained by Roger A. Bartlett
Last revised on 12/23/01