1. BYROM1 BALLARD died 1817 in Grayson Co., VA. He married ELIZABETH.
Notes for BYROM BALLARD:
I do not find any documentation that these children belong to Elizabeth. I believe Elizabeth's last name may be Davis and that Byrom was married twice before her. This information is based on information submitted to Family History Library. But I have found that the information on their website is not always accurate so I did not put this information in my database. I like to have proof and documentation before I enter anything. I have not finished searching the Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, so there may be more information for me on this family line. I am so greatful for Quaker's and their faithfulness on documenting family birth, death, and marriages. Their records are also very helpful to know where our ancestors lived and if they moved around by having to get a certificate from one meeting to another.Children of BYROM BALLARD and ELIZABETH are:
- 2. i. MARY2 BALLARD.
- ii. PHILIP BALLARD.
- iii. MOSES BALLARD.
- iv. RUTH BALLARD.
- v. WILLIAM BALLARD.
- vi. AMOS BALLARD.
- vii. JUDITH BALLARD, m. ? CUNNINGHAM.
2. MARY2 BALLARD (BYROM1) She married MOSES CADWALADER. He died Abt. 1803.
Notes for MARY BALLARD:
Tax List shows Mary Cadwalader as having 2 horses, she was taxed .24cents. Source; Grayson County Virginia Personal Property Tax list (Electronic User Home Page) Mary is named in the will of her father Byron Ballard. "BALLARD, Bryon. Will proved August 1817. Names wife, Elizabeth and children, Philip, Moses, Ruth, William, Amos, Mary Chadwallader and Judith Cunningham." Source: Electronic, Grayson County Wills 1793-1849More About MARY BALLARD:
Personal Property: 1805, Grayson Co., VA
Notes for MOSES CADWALADER:
Mt. Pleasant Monthly Meeting and Caesars Creek Monthly Meeting have the name spelled CADWALADER. I find it spelled CADWALLADER in other references. Moses possibly died just before Judith was born as some records show his death as July 1803.More About MOSES CADWALADER:
1800 Grayson County Tax List shows Moses with 3 horses, 1 male in the household over the age of 21 (this being Moses). 1805 Grayson County shows him with 360 acres? valued at $61.67, tax .30 cents. This also shows heirs next to the tax due. I assume wife and children inherited the land. Grayson County Virginia Tax/Land Records (Electronic user home page)
Property: 1800, Grayson Co., VA/listed as having 3 horses Property 2: 1805, Grayson Co., VA Marriage Notes for MARY BALLARD and MOSES CADWALADER: The names and date of birth for the children of Moses and Mary come from Hinshaw's Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy page 1003, Mt. Pleasant Monthly Meeting Birth and Death Records.Children of MARY BALLARD and MOSES CADWALADER are:
- i. AMOS3 CADWALADER, b. May 04, 1793.
Notes for AMOS CADWALADER:
Amos is listed on the 1813 Grayson County, Virgina Personal Property Tax List as: Tithes 1, Horses 2, Tax 32 cents. More About AMOS CADWALADER:
Personal Property: 1813, Grayson Co., VA
- ii. ELEANOR CADWALADER, b. December 22, 1794.
- iii. BYROM CADWALADER, b. February 16, 1799.
- iv. JOSEPH CADWALADER, b. April 12, 1801.
- 3. v. JUDITH CADWALADER, b. November 30, 1803, VA; d. April 07, 1870, Georgetown, Vermilion Co., IL.
3. JUDITH3 CADWALADER (MARY2 BALLARD, BYROM1)1 was born November 30, 1803 in VA, and died April 07, 1870 in Georgetown, Vermilion Co., IL. She married ISAAC LEWIS1 February 23, 1822 in Caesars Creek MM, Clinton Co., OH, son of THOMAS LEWIS and RACHEL COOK. He was born June 08, 1803 in Newberry Co., SC, and died October 17, 1855 in Ridgefarm, Vermilion Co, IL.
Notes for JUDITH CADWALADER:
Mount Pleasant Mm, Grayson, Virginia
Source: Family History Library (Electronic Database)
Mt. Pleasant Monthly Meeting Birth and Death Records give a date of birth November 31, 1803, however, when I enter this date into FTM a window comes up stating that this month does not have that many days, so I had to enter the 30th day.More About JUDITH CADWALADER:
Burial: Elwood Friends, Georgetown, Vermilion Co., IL Notes for ISAAC LEWIS:
Source: Vermilion MM, Elwood Friends Meeting Records
More About ISAAC LEWIS:
Burial: Elwood Friends, Georgetown, Vermilion CO, IL
Marriage Notes for JUDITH CADWALADER and ISAAC LEWIS:
Isaac and Judith had a Quaker marriage.
Source: Encyclopedia to American Quaker Genealogy
More About ISAAC LEWIS and JUDITH CADWALADER:
Marriage: February 23, 1822, Caesars Creek MM, Clinton Co., OH
Children of JUDITH CADWALADER and ISAAC LEWIS are:
- 4. i. RACHEL4 LEWIS, b. December 10, 1822, Indiana? or Illinois?; d. January 07, 1893.
- ii. MARY LEWIS, b. February 06, 1825; d. September 10, 1844; m. WRIGHT MADDEN, February 13, 1843.
More About WRIGHT MADDEN and MARY LEWIS: Marriage: February 13, 1843
- iii. CHARITY LEWIS, b. June 14, 1826; m. URIAH HADLEY, December 05, 1850, IL/IN. Marriage Notes for CHARITY LEWIS and URIAH HADLEY:
HEISS' INDIANA QUAKER RECORDS Vermilion MM says married NOV 07, 1849 Vermilion Co, IL HEISSí INDIANA QUAKER RECORDS Bloomfield - Bloomingdale MM says married DEC 01, 1849 Parke Co, IN Source: Electronic Database (Online)
More About URIAH HADLEY and CHARITY LEWIS:
Marriage: December 05, 1850, IL/IN
- iv. ESTHER LEWIS, b. May 30, 1828, Vermilion Co., IL; d. December 07, 1858; m. THOMAS THORNTON, August 11, 1852. More About THOMAS THORNTON and ESTHER LEWIS:
Marriage: August 11, 1852
- v. ELIZABETH LEWIS, b. June 19, 1831; d. April 29, 1922. More About ELIZABETH LEWIS:
Individual Note: Never Married
- 5. vi. BYROM C. LEWIS, b. May 22, 1833, Vermilion Co., IL; d. April 29, 1882.
- 6. vii. JEHU LEWIS, b. August 13, 1834, Vermilion Co., IL; d. February 23, 1916, Vermilion Co., IL.
- viii. ELEANOR LEWIS, b. July 05, 1836, Vermilion Co., IL; d. February 17, 1837.
More About ELEANOR LEWIS:
Individual Note: Never Married
- ix. ELLEN LEWIS, b. December 27, 1838, Vermilion Co., IL; d. June 19, 1919.
More About ELLEN LEWIS:
Individual Note: Never Married
- x. MARTHA LEWIS, b. January 03, 1840, Vermilion Co., IL; m. SILAS UNDERWOOD, August 28, 1872, Danville, Vermilion Co., IL; b. November 23, 1830, Vermilion Co., IL; d. September 20, 1898, Vermilion Co., IL.
More About SILAS UNDERWOOD:
Burial: McKendree Cemetery, Georgetown, Vermilion Co., IL
More About SILAS UNDERWOOD and MARTHA LEWIS:
Marriage: August 28, 1872, Danville, Vermilion Co., IL
- 7. xi. THOMAS ELWOOD LEWIS, b. January 06, 1842, Vermilion Co., IL.
- xii. ENOS LEWIS, b. August 05, 1844, Vermilion Co., IL; d. August 12, 1844, Vermilion Co., IL.
Notes for ENOS LEWIS:
Enos died at the age of 7 days old.
- 8. xiii. WILLIAM LEWIS, b. July 03, 1829, Vermilion Co., IL; d. December 05, 1866.
- 9. xiv. MOSES C. LEWIS, b. August 16, 1846; d. May 25, 1914.
4. RACHEL4 LEWIS (JUDITH3 CADWALADER, MARY2 BALLARD, BYROM1) was born December 10, 1822 in Indiana? or Illinois?, and died January 07, 1893. She married (1) JOSEPH HADLEY February 09, 1842 in Elwood, Vermilion Co., IL. He died Abt. 1852. She married (2) WILLIAM M. WOODARD January 03, 1853 in Pilot Grove, Vermilion Co., IL. He was born January 23, 1818.
More About JOSEPH HADLEY and RACHEL LEWIS:
Marriage: February 09, 1842, Elwood, Vermilion Co., IL
More About WILLIAM WOODARD and RACHEL LEWIS:
Marriage: January 03, 1853, Pilot Grove, Vermilion Co., IL
Children of RACHEL LEWIS and JOSEPH HADLEY are:
- i. MARY L.5 HADLEY, b. October 14, 1844, Vermilion Co., IL.
- ii. RUTH B. HADLEY, b. May 04, 1846.
- iii. LEWIS J. HADLEY, b. July 25, 1848.Child of RACHEL LEWIS and WILLIAM WOODARD is:
- iv. MARTHA E.5 WOODARD, b. July 04, 1855, Parke Co., IN.
5. BYROM C.4 LEWIS (JUDITH3 CADWALADER, MARY2 BALLARD, BYROM1)1 was born May 22, 1833 in Vermilion Co., IL, and died April 29, 1882. He married SOPHIA HADLEY1 November 10, 1858 in Hopewell MM, Vermilion Co, IN, daughter of JONATHAN HADLEY and REBECCA WHITE. She was born November 04, 1841 in Edgar County, IL, and died August 03, 1918 in Orange Co., Indiana.
Notes for BYROM C. LEWIS:
Abrah B. Lewis and Byril Lewis are names listed on Isaac F. Lewis' death and marriage license. The name Byrom C. Lewis and Byram C. Lewis are used on records of Quaker Meetings. Some records in the Quaker meetings and online databases state he was born April 22, 1834 See notes under Isaac F. Lewis for my explanation of "The Man of Many Names".
Byrom had an uncle named Byrom Cadwalader. I suspect he was named after this uncle, the brother to his mother Judith Cadwallader. After careful research and by the fact above, I now believe his name was BYROM C. LEWIS. Notes for SOPHIA HADLEY:
Sophia died at the age of 76 years. She is listed in the Orange Co., IN death records book H-10 page 58. Sophia is buried in section ONE of Rush Creek Cemetery. "Sophia Hadley was a birth-right Quaker. Her parents were married in meeting. She married Byram Lewis in meeting. Thus there is nothing to indicate that she ever lost her membership in the Society of Friends." "Also there is ample evidence that she resided in IL & IN at various times but no indications in the records there that she was ever in Ohio." This was in response to my Emil concerning a Sophia Lewis who lost her membership and was located in OH. Sophia was never in Ohio, so this is another Sophia Lewis mentioned in the Ohio Quaker records. "Encyclopedia of Quaker Genealogy Vol V Van Wert Monthly Meeting Page 1006 I find a Sophia Lewis listed with Jane, Eliza J, and Isaac dated 1880/3/27 and then says recrq." This also would not be Sophia Hadley who married Byram C. Lewis as later Jerry gave me, in another email, the list of their children:
- Isaac F Lewis, b.30 Aug 1859
- Lucinda Lewis, b.22 Feb 1863, Elwood MM,IL
- Cora Bell Lewis, b.18 Jan 1871, Elwood MM,IL
- Martha Ellen Lewis, b. 3 Aug 1876, Elwood MM,IL
- William E Lewis, b.20 Feb 1879, Elwood MM,IL
- Rosella Lewis, b. [not shown], Elwood MM,IL
Source: Email/Quote from Jerry to Kristie (last name omitted to protect his privacy)
More About SOPHIA HADLEY:
Burial: Rush Creek Friends, Liberty Twp., Parke Co., IN
Marriage Notes for BYROM LEWIS and SOPHIA HADLEY:
The names and birthplace for Abrah and Sopha were taken from the death certificate and marriage licence of Isaac F. Lewis;both born in KY. Source: Death Certificate for Isaac F. Lewis
There is a Bryan Lewis age 20 listed on the 1860 Vermilion County, IL census with wife Sophia Lewis age 19 and son Isaac F. Lewis age 1. The census states that Bryan and Sophia were born in IL.
Source: 1860 Vermilion County, Elwood Township, Illinois census
Byram and Sophia had a Quaker marriage. Source: Electronic Database
More About BYROM LEWIS and SOPHIA HADLEY:
Marriage: November 10, 1858, Hopewell MM, Vermilion Co, IN
Children of BYROM LEWIS and SOPHIA HADLEY are:
- 10. i. ISAAC F.5 LEWIS, b. August 30, 1859, Vermilion Co. , Illinois; d. February 02, 1924, Indianola, Vermilion county, Illinois.
- ii. ROSELLA LEWIS, b. April 13, 1861, Elwood, Vermilion Co., IL.
- iii. LUCINDA LEWIS, b. February 22, 1863, Elwood, Vermilion Co., IL/ or Rush Creek, Parke Co., IN; m. GEORGE HOBSON, September 17, 1884.
More About GEORGE HOBSON and LUCINDA LEWIS:
Marriage: September 17, 1884
- iv. CORA BELLE LEWIS, b. January 18, 1871; m. HOWARD CLARK, July 17, 1892. More About HOWARD CLARK and CORA LEWIS:
Marriage: July 17, 1892
- 11. v. MARTHA ELLEN LEWIS, b. August 03, 1876; d. December 27, 1923.
- vi. WILLIAM HERMAS LEWIS, b. February 20, 1879.
6. JEHU4 LEWIS (JUDITH3 CADWALADER, MARY2 BALLARD, BYROM1)
was born August 13, 1834 in Vermilion Co., IL, and died February 23, 1916 in Vermilion Co., IL.
He married SUSANNAH MOORE April 11, 1872.
She was born March 24, 1841 in Prebble Co., OH, and died July 17, 1920 in Vermilion Co., IL.
More About JEHU LEWIS:
Burial: Elwood Friends, Georgetown, Vermilion Co., IL
More About SUSANNAH MOORE:
Burial: Elwood Friends, Georgetown, Vermilion Co., IL
More About JEHU LEWIS and SUSANNAH MOORE:
Marriage: April 11, 1872
Children of JEHU LEWIS and SUSANNAH MOORE are:
- i. MERIDA ELWOOD5 LEWIS, b. December 23, 1872, Vermilion Co., IL; d. December 29, 1933; m. LAURA ELLEN LEWIS.
- ii. MARY LUCINDA LEWIS, b. March 25, 1875, Vermilion Co., IL; d. November 27, 1932; m. LEWIS BROWN, December 14, 1898. More About LEWIS BROWN and MARY LEWIS:
Marriage: December 14, 1898
- iii. ZIMRI FREDRICH LEWIS, b. September 14, 1877, Vermilion Co., IL; d. November 02, 1931; m. ANNA WEIR, January 02, 1904. More About ZIMRI LEWIS and ANNA WEIR:
Marriage: January 02, 1904
- iv. ALLEN LEWIS, b. June 09, 1880, Vermilion Co., IL; d. August 19, 1881.
- v. MINNIE MAE LEWIS, b. February 06, 1882, Vermilion Co., IL; d. August 25, 1955; m. JOSEPH STARK, February 07, 1900.
More About JOSEPH STARK and MINNIE LEWIS:
Marriage: February 07, 1900
- vi. OTTIS LEWIS, b. February 27, 1885, Vermilion Co., IL; d. November 14, 1966; m. OPAL WITHERSPOON, August 31, 1909. More About OTTIS LEWIS and OPAL WITHERSPOON: Marriage: August 31, 1909
7. THOMAS ELWOOD4 LEWIS (JUDITH3 CADWALADER, MARY2 BALLARD, BYROM1)
was born January 06, 1842 in Vermilion Co., IL.
He married MARTHA ELLEN THORNTON February 04, 1863 in Vermilion Co, IL.
She was born December 09, 1843, and died July 25, 1912.
More About THOMAS ELWOOD LEWIS:
Census #1: 1880, Vermilion Co., IL
More About MARTHA ELLEN THORNTON:
Census #1: 1880, Vermilion Co., IL
Marriage Notes for THOMAS LEWIS and MARTHA THORNTON:
Marriage date for Quaker Record's state Feb 05.
Vermilion County, IL Electronic Online Database states Feb 04.
More About THOMAS LEWIS and MARTHA THORNTON:
Marriage: February 04, 1863, Vermilion Co, IL
Children of THOMAS LEWIS and MARTHA THORNTON are:
- i. JEHU M.5 LEWIS, b. October 30, 1863, Vermilion Co., IL.
- ii. ETHLEEN LEWIS, b. April 02, 1866, Vermilion Co., IL.
- iii. EVA ELLEN LEWIS, b. March 16, 1868, Vermilion Co., IL.
- iv. ELIZABETH LEWIS, b. July 30, 1874, Vermilion Co., IL.
8. WILLIAM4 LEWIS (JUDITH3 CADWALADER, MARY2 BALLARD, BYROM1)
was born July 03, 1829 in Vermilion Co., IL, and died December 05, 1866.
He married SARAH R. PUGH November 09, 1853 in Hopewell MM, Vermilion Co, IN. She was born March 02, 1834.
More About SARAH R. PUGH:
Name 2: Sarah R Pugh
More About WILLIAM LEWIS and SARAH PUGH:
Marriage: November 09, 1853, Hopewell MM, Vermilion Co, IN
Children of WILLIAM LEWIS and SARAH PUGH are:
- i. SYLVESTER E.5 LEWIS, b. May 04, 1855.
- ii. JACOB T. LEWIS, b. October 10, 1856.
- iii. CHESTER C. LEWIS, b. February 09, 1858.
- iv. ELIZA LEWIS, b. May 17, 1860.
- v. MARTHA LEWIS, b. August 17, 1861.
- 12. vi. MARY ELLEN LEWIS, b. August 17, 1861; d. August 23, 1896.
9. MOSES C.4 LEWIS (JUDITH3 CADWALADER, MARY2 BALLARD, BYROM1)
was born August 16, 1846, and died May 25, 1914.
He married (1) ZILPHIA ANN NEWSOM, daughter of MICAJAH NEWSOM and MARY.
She was born July 07, 1846, and died March 19, 1917.
He married (2) ZILPHIA NEWSOM December 12, 1872. More About MOSES C. LEWIS:
Name 2: Moses Lewis
Date born 2: August 16, 1846, Vermilion Co., IL
Burial: Sand Creek MM, IL
More About MOSES LEWIS and ZILPHIA NEWSOM:
Marriage: December 12, 1872
Children of MOSES LEWIS and ZILPHIA NEWSOM are:
- 13. i. WILLIS5 LEWIS.
- ii. LORETTA LEWIS.
- iii. MARGARET J. LEWIS, b. June 12, 1873.
- iv. LENNA LEOLA LEWIS, b. July 25, 1876; d. April 15, 1907.
More About LENNA LEOLA LEWIS:
Burial: Sand Creek MM, IL
10. ISAAC F.5 LEWIS (BYROM C.4, JUDITH3 CADWALADER, MARY2 BALLARD, BYROM1)
was born August 30, 1859 in Vermilion Co. , Illinois, and died February 02, 1924 in Indianola, Vermilion county, Illinois.
He married HANNAH ARCADA BRADFIELD October 18, 1891
in Indianola, Vermilion Co. Illinios, daughter of BENJAMIN BRADFIELD and POLLY GIBSON.
She was born March 26, 1872 in Indianola, Vermilion Co., IL., and died April 28, 1967 in Rossville. Vermilion CO. IL..
Notes for ISAAC F. LEWIS:
James Pollitt was the informant on Isaac's death. He is the brother in law to Hannah Arcada Bradfield Lewis married to Martha Alitha Bradfield. According to Isaac's death certificate he would have been born in 1859 if he died at the age of almost 65 years. However, the certificate states he was born in 1852. If the Isaac F. Lewis age 1 years is the same individual listed on the Vermilion County, IL 1860 census, then this will prove my theory of him being born in 1859.
All of the Quaker Meeting Records show Isaac born in 1859. The names of Isaac's parents are listed as Abrah B. Lewis (on his marriage license) and Sopha Hadley and as Byril Lewis on his death certificate. Quaker Meeting Records all state his father was Byram/Byrom C. Lewis.
"The Man of Many Names" In the 1800's during the Monthly Meetings sometimes the children's names were changed, this being due to maybe another sibling having the same name or a cousin and the family did not want to confuse the two on documents. Parent's also gave their children nick names, sometimes just shortening their original name. I am going on the assumption that Byram was short for Abraham based on the name given by Isaac on his marriage license. I also think that his original name was Abraham C. Lewis, later given the name Byram C Lewis; (the C standing for Cadwallader, it was common in the 1800's when middle names/initials were starting to be used regularly, to give the surname of the mother) then a final name of Abrah B. Lewis given by Isaac. Isaac may have his father's middle initial as B because of the name Byram. Some family members as stated called him Byril, assuming this was what the B stood for. Unfortunately, this name confusion has made it very difficult to do family research. I have decided to list Isaac's father as Byram C. Lewis because most all Quaker Records point to this name. So I am going to dedicate the Lewis Family Genealogy to "The Man of Many Names". No one will ever know what his birth name truely was, he and his parents take his name with them to their final resting place.More About ISAAC F. LEWIS:
Burial: February 04, 1924, Michels Cemetery, Indianola, Vermilion Co., IL
Cause of Death: paralysis paraplegia
Census #1: 1860, Vermilion Co., IL Elwood Twsp
Census #2: 1900, Vermilion Co., IL Elwood Twsp
Death certificate: February 06, 1924, #11231
Medical Information: Isaac F. Lewis was 64 years 5 months and 3 days old when he passed away.
Notes for HANNAH ARCADA BRADFIELD:
Hannah was a resident at Hedrecka Nursing Home for 4 months before her death. She passed away April 28, 1967 at 5:10p.m.
Source: Vermilion County, IL Death Certificate
More About HANNAH ARCADA BRADFIELD:
Burial: April 30, 1967, Michels Cemetery, Indianola, Vermilion Co., IL
Cause of Death: Bronchial Pneumonia, Asperation of Food, General Disability
Death certificate: April 30, 1967, #49422
Medical Information: Hannah lived to be 95 years of age.
Marriage Notes for ISAAC LEWIS and HANNAH BRADFIELD:
License was filed on October 22, 1891. Marriage License was registered on December 16, 1891 on page 219 of Marriage Register.
Hannah and Isaac were married at the residence of Benjamin Bradfield and Polly Gibson, parents of bride in Indianola, Vermilion Co., IL.
Witnesses to marriage: L. R. Gibson, Lenard or Howard (hard to read) Dye, A. J. (last name hard to read).
Married by Justice of the Peace John R. Newkjich (hard to read).
Source: Marriage License
More About ISAAC LEWIS and HANNAH BRADFIELD:
Marriage: October 18, 1891, Indianola, Vermilion Co. Illinios
Marriage license: October 17, 1981, Danville, Vermilion Co., IL
1. Quaker Meeting Records; Birth, Death Records, and Marriage Records.
This family file was contributed by Kristie Cabunac
[ Return To Home Page ]
[ Return To Families Page ]
This page was last updated:
Tue Mar 14 21:14:25 2006