Mary Louisa

Mary Louisa



Submitted by Reita Childers 

Tallulah.jpg (26994 bytes)Picture of granddaughter of Louisa 


    Thomas Pinckney Thornton, son of Thomas Thornton and Rebecca House, b. ca 1818 in Spartanburg Dist., SC, d. ca 1900.  Pinckney was an infant when his parents moved to Hall County, GA.  There he married ca 1838, Mary Louisa Nuckolls, daughter of James Alexander and Ann (Burrus) Nuckolls, b. Sept. 1822 Hall Co., GA., d. 17 Oct. 1903 Montgomery Co. Arkansas.  The Thornton and Nuckolls families were from Louisa County, Virginia and like many families living in Virginia, migrated south to Spartanburg Dist., SC.  Later, many members of both families moved further south into Hall and Forsyth Counties in Georgia.  Thomas and Mary Louisa were buried originally at the Cedar Glades Cemetery Arkansas.  The corp. of Engineers moved the Cedar Glade Cemetery to make way for Lake Quachita in the year 1940.  Thomas and Louisa now rest at Mt. Valley Cemetery in Garland County, Arkansas.
    By 1855 Pinckney, Louisa Thornton and family had moved to Catoosa County, GA, on the Tennessee line, just south of Lookout Mountain.  It is not known how long they lived in Catoosa County.  In 1864 Pinckney registered with the State of Georgia under the Senatorial Act of 14th of December 1863.  Pinckney was registered in Whitfield Co. Dist. # 863 Trickum, GA gives his age as 47 years and 2 months, born in Spartanburg Dist. SC.
    Several members of the Thornton and Nuckolls family settled in N.W. Georgia.  Two were Pinckney's brothers, Freeland W. Thornton who married Many Montgomery and Isaac Thornton who married Clarinda Nuckolls, sister of Pinckney's wife, Mary Louisa Nuckolls. 
    James Alexander Nuckolls, father of Mary Louisa and Clarinda Nuckolls Thornton, purchased hundreds of acres in Dogwood Valley which he left to the heirs of his estate at the time of his demise. 20 Sept. 1875.  James Alexander Nuckolls wife, Ann Burrus, the daughter of John and Mary (Harris) Burrus born 19 June 1801 in Louisa Co. VA, died 29 March 1858 in Forsyth County, GA.
    Alexander Nuckolls, died in the month of September.  The weather being very hot made it impossible for the family to return his remains to Forsyth County.  consequently, Alexander was buried across the road form his home place located on the Old Ringgold Rd.  At night when mother nature sends her sweet cool winds racing down the valley floor and embraces the beautiful iron works that surround Alexander's grave, strange whispering sounds can be heard.  Neighbors say, "it's only Mr. Alexander who has come to visit."
    Pinckney and Mary Louisa (Nuckolls) Thornton had eight children, who are all listed within these pages.
    It is not know when Pinckney and his family moved to Arkansas but in 1870, they were living in the Mountain township in Montgomery Co. Arkansas.  Again, many of the family members left Georgia moving to Arkansas settling close to one another.
    In Montgomery County, AR on January 4, 1893, Pinckney and Louisa conveyed property by Warranty Deed with Relinquishment of Dowers to George W. Sharpe, Jr.  It has been reported that Pinckney left a Will in Montgomery County, AR.
    Louisa (Nuckolls) Thornton scribes her Will the 17th. day of December 1900 and is recorded in book "A" page #155 in the County of Montgomery, Mount Ida, Arkansas.  Proof of this Will was recorded on the 19th day of October 1903, book "A" page #156.  As we see from this will Louisa was a widow and she list three of her children as executors of her estate.  Thery were, Thomas Pascal, I. Webster (Webb) and Freeland Lafayette Thornton.
    When Pinckney and Louisa (Nuckolls) Thornton moved to Arkansas their son, Thomas Pascal and wife Milbrey (Ward) Thornton stayed behind in Whitfield County, GA.
    On May 1, 1862, just a few months after the War of Rebellion had started, Thomas Pascal Thornton, enlisted his service to The Confederate States of America at Ringgold, GA as Private in Company "E", 1st. Confederate Regiment Infantry Army of Tennessee.  Most Confederate soldiers were neither long term regulars nor draftees, but war time volunteers whose values remained rooted in their homes and communities from which they sprang to defend and to which they desperately wanted to return.
    After several years of fighting, Thomas was captured by Union troops on July 3, 1864 near Kennesaw, GA.  He was taken to the Provost Marshall General July 12th in Nashville, Tennessee.  By July 15th, he was received at Military Prison, Louisville, KY ending up at Camp Douglas, IL.  Thomas' brother-in-law, William Calvin Ward, of Tunnel Hill did not survive this wretched prison camp, full of pestilence and hardship.  Thomas was released from Camp Douglas May 19, 1865 after taking the Oath of Allegiance at which time he was set free to return home to his family.
    While Thomas was away with the army, Milbrey was living in Tunnel Hill, GA.  Winters had been brutal in North Georgia especially in 1863 and times were hard as a result of the fighting in and around Tunnel Hill.  As the Yankees swept through Tunnel Hill and Ringgold, Milbrey tried to save her most valuable possessions.  After all, her husband was away fighting and giving his all for the cause, she had to take matters into her won hands.  She loaded a wagon with her treasures took them deep into the hills burying them so the Yankees could not find them.  Milbrey was reported to be skilled in the art of horseback riding, one of her most treasured possession being a velvet side-saddle.  She wrapped her saddle in quilts along with other treasures and buried them deep in the red Georgia clay to keep all from harms way.  Sadly, upon recovery the dirt and moisture had taken its toll, all was destroyed.
    Thomas Pascal Thronton, Sr., the third child of Thomas Pinckney and Mary Louisa (Nuckolls) Thornton, after returning home, from the War of Rebellion, went to work for the railroad as many did in those days.  He was the general car foreman for the old Western & Atlantic Railroad in Nashville, Tennessee.  After living in Tennessee for several years, Thomas and family returned to Tunnel Hill GA about 1875 and he continued working for the railroad.  His son, Thomas Pascal Thornton, Jr., at the age of 16 entered the service of the railroad as a car oiler under his father's supervision at Boyce Station, TN on the old Western & Atlantic Railroad, later the Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis.  Thomas Jr. worked on to become one of the most famous "Wreck Masters" in the south.  He told of seeing bad wrecks, human beings dead or suffering, giant locomotives twisted and mangled and somehow he was always able to bring order out of destruction, to fulfill the railroad man's creed and clarion call "Clear the main line!"
    After Thomas Pascal Thornton Sr. first wife, Milbrey passed away, Thomas, Sr. married his first cousin, Annie Graham.  Annie's parents were Dr. J.D. Graham and Virginia E. (Nuckolls) Graham, daughter of James Alexander and Ann (Burrus) Nuckolls.

For additions and changes to this site...broken links too!