English Dictionary

English Dictionary
Home Up Families Email List Signup

 

 

A Topographical Dictionary of England: Volume 1Y.Preface page xl


Hopkins, Rev. A., Clent, Staffordshire

Hopkins, James, Esq., Arundel, Sussex

Hopkins, Mr. James, Dover-road, London

Hopkins, Thomas, Esq., Boston, Lincolnshire

Hopkins, W., Esq., Dymock, Gloucestershire

Hopkins and Arlett, Messrs., Essex-st., London

page 97
BASSILDON, a parish in the hundred of MORETON, county of BERKS, 7 miles (N.W. by W.) from Reading, containing 686 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, with the chapel of Ashamstead, in the archdeaconry of Berks, and diocese of Salisbury, rated in the king's books at 7. 14. 4., and in the alternate patronage of the Rev. R. B. Fisher and J. Hopkins, Esq. Thechurch is dedicated to St. Bartholomew. In Domesday-book mention is made of two churcheshere. In the reign of Edward II., a weekly market, and a fair on St. Barnabas' Day, were granted. A school was endowed with 4 per annum, by William Allen, in 1720, for the instruction of ten poor children.

page 168
BLAENAVON, a parochial chapelry in the hundred of ABERGAVENNY, county of
MONMOUTH, 5 miles (S. W.) from Abergavenny, containing about 2500 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaff, endowed with 400 royalbounty, and 2000 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of Thomas Hill, Esq. The village,which has [p.168] of late assumed the appearance of a thriving town, lies in a mountainousdistrict, near the source of the Avon Lwyd, whence it derives its name; many of the houses are excavated in the solid rock. The neighbourhood abounds with iron-ore, coal, and limestone; and ironworks, on an extensive scale, were completed here in 1789, since which they have beenprogressively increasing: the major portion of the pig-iron is conveyed, by means of a canal and a rail-road, to Newport, whence it is exported. A customary market is held on Saturday. Near theiron-works stands a spacious English free school, endowed, in 1816, by Mrs. Sarah Hopkins, for
the instruction of the children of the miners: the present number, including both sexes, is about two hundred and forty.

eface
page 496
COVENTRY, an ancient city, and a county of itself, locally in the county of Warwick, 10 miles (N. E.) from Warwick, 18 (S.E.) from Birmingham, and 91 (N.N.W.) from London, on the roadto Holyhead, containing 21,242 inhabitants. In ancient records this place, is called Coventre and also Conventrey, from the foundation of a convent by Canute, of which St. Osburg was abbess in1016; when it was burnt by Edric, the traitor, who having invaded Mercia, destroyed many townsin Warwickshire. On the site of this convent, Leofric, Earl of Mercia, and his countess Godiva, inthe reign of Edward the Confessor, erected a monastery, which they munificently endowed, and decorated with such a profusion of costly ornaments, that, according to William of Malmesbury,
the walls were covered with gold and silver. About this time Leofric, at the intercession of his countess, granted the citizens a charter conferring various privileges and immunities, the same being commemorated in the south window of Trinity church, by portraits of the Earl and Countess, with a poetical legend. Leofric died in 1057, and was interred in the monastery whichhe had founded. Shortly after the Norman Conquest, the lordship of Coventry became vested in the earls of Chester, by marriage with the grand-daughter of Leofric. In the contest between Stephen and the Empress Matilda, the Earl of Chester taking part with the latter, his castle of Coventry was occupied by the king's forces: the earl besieged it, but the king came in person to its relief, and repulsed the earl after an obstinate conflict. In 1141, Robert Marmion, the inveterate
enemy of the Earl of Chester, took possession of this monastery, from which he expelled the monks, fortified the church, and cut deep trenches in the adjoining fields, concealing them only with a slight covering: on the earl's approach to dislodge him, Marmion drew out his forces, but forgetting the exact situation of the trenches, his horse fell with him to the ground, and in this situation his head was severed from his body by a private soldier. In 1355, the city wassurrounded with walls three miles in circuit, three yards in thickness, and six yards in height, strengthened with thirty-two towers, and containing twelve principal gates, each defended by a portcullis. In 1397, Richard II. appointed this town for the decision, by single combat, of the quarrel between the Dukes of Hereford and Norfolk; and magnificent preparations were made on Gosford Green for this encounter, which, however; was prevented by the banishment of thecombatants, a measure which ultimately produced the deposition of the king. In 1404, the Duke
of Hereford, who had become Duke of Lancaster, by the death of his father, John of Gaunt, on his return from exile, having succeded to the crown by the title of Henry IV., held a parliament here in the great chamber of the priory, which, from the exclusion of all lawyers, was called Parliamentum Indoctorum. In 1411, the Prince of Wales, afterwards Henry V., was arrested at the priory by John Horneby, mayor of the city, probably for some tumultuous excess, the particulars of which have not been recorded. The city, with a district of four miles around it, was severed from Warwickshire, and erected into a county of itself, under the designation of the City and County of the City of Coventry, by charter of Henry VI., in 1451; and in 1459 the same monarch held a parliament in the chapter-house of the priory, which, from the number of attainders passed against the Duke of York and others, was, by the Yorkists, called Parliamentum Diabolicum. In 1465, Edward IV. and his queen kept the festival of Christmas at Coventry; and
three years after, the Earl of Rivers and his son, who had been seized by a party of the northern rebels at Grafton, were beheaded on Gosford Green. In the war between the houses of York and Lancaster, Richard, Earl of Warwick, marched with all his ordnance and warlike stores into this city, where he remained for a short time, during which Edward IV., on his route from Leicester, attempted to force an entrance; but being repulsed, he passed on to Warwick, and thence to London; where having gained a battle in which the Earl of Warwick was slain, he returned to Coventry, and deprived the citizens of their charter, for the restoration of which they werecompelled to pay a fine of five hundred marks. In 1472, severe enactments were passed by themagistrates against women of immoral character, who were publicly exhibited in carts on the
market days. Henry VII., on his route from Bosworth Field in 1475, was received here with every demonstration of congratulation and respect. In the early part of the sixteenth century, Coventry became the theatre of religious persecution: the Bishop of Chester coming to examine persons accused of heresy, condemned seven to the stake, which sentence was executed in the little park : in 1554, Mr. Hopkins, sheriff for the city, was confined in the Fleet prison, on a charge of heresy, but was liberated after great intercession, and fled the kingdom; and in the following year Mr. Lawrence Saunders, Robert Glover, A.M., and Cornelius Bongey, were burnt for theirreligious tenets during the reign of Mary. In 1565, Queen Elizabeth visited the city; and in 1566,
Mary, Queen of Scots, was conducted to this place, where she was detained a prisoner; and in 1569, on her removal from Tutbury castle, she was for some time at the Bull Inn, in the custody of the Earls of Shrewsbury and Huntingdon. In 1607 the city suffered considerable damage from aninundation which entered two hundred and fifty-seven houses, washing away furniture and utensils of various kinds: the flood rose to the height of three yards, and, after remaining for three or four hours, suddenly subsided; clusters of white snails were afterwards found in the houses and in thetrees, supposed to have collected prior to the influx of the water, which, though observed at thedistance of nearly a mile from the town, was so instantaneous in its approach, as to preclude all means of precaution. King James, attended by a large retinue of the nobility, visited the city in
1617, on which occasion a cup of pure gold, weighing forty-five ounces, and containing 100, was presented to him by the corporation, which his  majesty ordered to be preserved with the royal plate for the heirs of the crown. During the parliamentary war, Charles I. having erected hisstandard at Nottingham in 1641, sent orders to the mayor and sheriffs of Coventry to attend himat that place; but the majority [p.496] of the citizens embraced the cause of the parliament, and a party having obtained possession of the magazine in Spon tower, which the Earl of Northampton had directed the aldermen to secure for the royalists, kept it for Lord Brooke, who removed it to Warwick castle. The parliamentarian party in the city having been reinforced with four hundred
men from Birmingham, held it against the king, who sent a herald to demand entrance, which being refused, some cannon were planted in the great park, and on Stivichall hill, which played upon the town, but without effect. Finding the citizens resolved to defend their gates, and learning that Lord Brooke was approaching with his army from London, the king drew off his forces, and the city was now regularly garrisoned by the parliament, and farther preparations made for itsdefence. The women were employed to fill up the quarries in the park, that they might not afford any shelter to the royal troops; and for this purpose they assembled in companies, by beat of drum, and marched in military array, with mattocks and spades, headed by an amazon who carried an Herculean club on her shoulder, and conducted from their work by another, who
discharged a pistol as a signal of dismissal. On the Restoration of Charles II., that monarch was proclaimed by the mayor and aldermen, attended by a vast concourse of the inhabitants, with themost triumphant acclamation: the greatest rejoicings took place, and the public conduits of the city were made to flow with wine; a deputation was sent to present to him a basin and ewer, and fiftypieces of gold, and to surrender all the king's lands. In 1662, the Earl of Northampton, with alarge retinue of the neighbouring gentry, and a detachment of the county troops, was sent with acommission from the king to make a breach in the walls, as a punishment to the inhabitants for shutting their gates against his father; but the earl so far exceeded the limits of his commission as to
leave only a few fragments of them remaining: of the gates, which were only dismantled, there are some yet standing; the Bastille, Swanswell, and Cook-street gates, are the most entire.

A Topographical Dictionary of England: Volume 2
H. Preface page 332


The borough comprises the parishes of Dover-court and St. Nicholas, in the archdeaconry of Colchester, and diocese of London. The living of Dover-court is a vicarage, with the perpetual curacy of St. Nicholas, rated in the king's books at 5. 0. 10., endowed with 200 private benefaction, and 200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Crown. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an old building: it contains several ancient monuments, and was celebrated for a rood, or crucifix, held in high veneration, for the destruction of which three men from Dedham, who had stolen it from the church and burnt it, were hanged for sacrilege in 1532. The church of St. Nicholas was rebuilt in 1820, at an expense of 18,000: it is a handsome edifice in
the later style of English architecture, with a lofty square embattled tower, and contains one thousand free sittings; in the chancel are three finely-painted windows, presented by John Hopkins, Esq., and containing severally the arms of that gentleman, those of the town, and of Dr. Howley, then Bishop of London: among the monuments is a well-sculptured bust of Sir WilliamClarke, Secretary at War to Charles I. and Charles II. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, and Wesleyan Methodists. A school-room, with an adjoining house for the master,was built in 1724, by Sir Humphrey Parsons, and given to the corporation, in which thirty-two
boys of their nomination are instructed: there is also a National school supported by subscription, in which nearly two hundred children of both sexes are taught. Two almshouses for aged widows were built by the corporation in 1785. A fine spring of clear water formerly issued from the cliff between the beacon and the town; it was much esteemed for its medicinal properties, and possessed a petrifying quality, turning the blue clay which falls from the cliff into stone, sufficiently hard for paving the streets and for building: it is noticed in the Philosophical Transactions for the year 1669. Quan tities of amber, and, according to some, ambergris, are occasionally found onthe shore; and in the vicinity of Landguard fort transparent pebbles are found, which were
formerly set in rings by the inhabitants.

A Topographical Dictionary of England: Volume 3N. Preface page 438


NUFFIELD, a parish in the hundred of EWELME, county of OXFORD, 4 miles (E. by S.) from Wallingford, containing 198 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Oxford, rated in the king's books at 7. 16. 10. The Rev. B. R. Fisher, and the Rev. W. Hopkins, were patrons in 1826. The church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity. A house of friars, of the order of the Holy Trinity, existed here before the 33rd of Edward III.

A Topographical Dictionary of England: Volume 4 T. Prefacepage 308


TIDMARSH, a parish in the hundred of THEALE, county of BERKS, 6 miles (W.N.W.) from Reading, containing 139 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Berks, and diocese of Salisbury, rated in the king's books at 5. 2. 6., and in the patronage of Robert Hopkins, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Lawrence, is partly Norman and partly in the early style of English architecture, the doorway being a particularly fine specimen of the former; the ceiling of the chancel is of panelled oak, and adjoining it are two slabs of blue marble, with ancientbrasses.

   

This Page is Copyrighted by "Hopkins List"

 

Please send broken links to: kee46@msn.com email.GIF (14954 bytes)